The past two months I’ve been real busy with my work because of which I didn’t get any time to blog. Anyways, now that I have got some free time on me, I’ll post.
I guess I have mentioned in several posts that I am using Ubuntu 11.04 code named “Natty Narwhal” as my primary OS along with Slackware 13.37 and Windows 7 on other partitions . As a matter of fact, I even started this blog when I was using Ubuntu 11.04 and now when it won’t get any support and bug fixes, I finally have to switch!
I haven’t really decided which distro I will be choosing next. It could be Ubuntu 12.04, definitely not 12.10. I tried it and felt that it was tad bit slower than 12.04. Lately, Ubuntu and Canonical has been getting a lot of heat, primarily because of the addition of shopping lens and the privacy issues that it created. Although, it could be turned off and removed completely but Canonical shouldn’t have left it switched on by default.
So, Here are the contenders for my next switch:
- Ubuntu 12.04 – It is an LTS release and I found it a bit faster than 12.10. But, one problem that I have heard a lot about it is a bug that reports “something has crashed” in almost every session.
- Linux Mint – I am waiting for the next Mint release i.e. Mint 14.
- SolusOS – Built on Debian stable, it uses a highly modified Gnome 2 which to some extent will remind you of Linux Mint. I have heard a lot of good things about it and it is definitely worth a shot.
- Debian – It is known for its rock solid stability, I don’t think I need to tell anything about it, anybody who is into Linux knows about it. But, since Debian-stable have old software in its repos I might have to try Debian-testing as well.
- PinguyOS – It is built on Ubuntu and comes fully packed with all major softwares that you might find yourself using. Their tweaked Gnome environment presents a nice interface to work upon.
- Fedora – It belongs to a totally different family. But, this could be the time when I move to the fedora family.
For the time being, I’m gonna upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 partly because it seems the easiest option as it is just a click away and mostly because I am such a lazy guy!! 😀